Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mario and Jinju

Highlights of the week:
  • This week in school, I started to do a review lesson for the students to help them with their test and we are playing a Mario "Bomb" game (which is kinda like Jeopardy but with more points and twists).  It's pretty fun, but it turns out that only the 1st grade will actually have my questions on their exam.  I was told that it would be 2nd grade too and that's what I told my students, but there was a total miscommunication between teachers and now it isn't there.  Pretty annoying since this is the only grade that I really give them expect for the final.  It seems my class is already more just the "fun" class and the fact that they will not be tested over the material we learned just contributes to this idea.  Ugh.
  • Turns out that I will not join my students for Jeju which is also a big bummer.  It would have been great to been able to spend time with them outside of school and to go back to the Island, but alas the budget does not allow it.
  • I had an interview for a position back in the States this past Wednesday.  It went pretty well so we'll see what happens.  In the mean time, I have to keep applying and trucking away at these job applications!
  • Today (Sunday), I went to Jinju with some friends from my gym and we ran in the Jinju 10k!  It was really fun!  I got a fairly decent time considering I haven't really ran in ages and I met some new people that were pretty cool.  We also stopped by the Jinju Zoo which is this tiny little zoo with a small amount of animals (including deer?) but the kids of some of my fellow gym-mates sure had a blast!  Afterwards, we went out to eat some black bean noodles that were super tasty.
  • Homestay has been okay.  Living in a homestay definitely has it's pros and cons and right now it's getting a little harder to see more of the pros.  It is just annoying to not be independent and treated differently.  The grandmother in particular is a bit frustrating in how she'll tell me what to eat, how to eat it, not to do laundry, etc.  I can politely refuse some of these, but it is still annoying to deal with.
That's about it for now.  I'm going to try to do my laundry because I really just want it done and over with, but I'll have to wait until Grandma is in her room.  America is just around the corner!  Crazy to think about, but I'm looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the miscommuincations. Bummer.

    Hang in there - you will be back before you know it.

    BTW, if you're living at home for a few months before going to work at a school in the fall, rest assured, we won't have any problem with you doing your own laundry :) Or how to eat or what to eat for that matter :)

    ReplyDelete