Monday, June 4, 2012

One Month to Go!

Well I leave the United States for South Korea in exactly one month today!  I still can hardly believe it.  I feel a bit unprepared still but I'm going to go out and get things this week for it and I am going to force myself to study the Korean language at least 1 hour per day in order to prepare for the intensive lessons when I get there.  Apparently they are cramming about 100 hours of instruction into a measly six weeks!  But I guess by the end of it, we have enough vocab to survive so I'm glad we get it.  It's just a bit tricky as the alphabet is completely different from our traditional Roman one and it's not like anything I've studied before.  I take solace in knowing that I am not alone in my lack of Korean skills as many of my colleagues are in the same position!

I have all of my paperwork and things underway so I am excited about that.  I just have to send in my final transcripts whenever Walsh gets them finalized, which is hopefully soon, and then I'll have my tickets for my flight and then I will be heading out.  I still can't believe that I am going.  It kind of finally hit home that I going to be gone for a whole year as one of my good friends from camp is leaving for a month and will not be back until I leave.  Good thing we have facebook, email, Skype (well as soon as I get a webcam), and other ways I can communicate back home!

Also, if anyone has any good ideas for gifts for my host family, co-teacher, principal, etc., let me know!  Right now, I'm thinking of a board game or mobile sport equipment (frisbee, hacky-sack, etc.) for the family and I'm still contemplating what I would like to get them, especially the school officials.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Just one more short month and the adventure begins.  I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment