Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Move into the Goshiwon

So yesterday I finally moved into the goshiwon.  The place itself is good, but the move was frustrating.  Of course, it happen to be pouring down rain this fine afternoon and I proceeded to soak my suitcase, my backpack, and the bottom of my pants.  It was pretty annoying, but thankfully my suitcase absorbed most of the water and my clothes and other things were spared so I guess I can't be that annoyed. 

When I arrived at the goshiwon and after a call to the lovely May, the owner of the goshiwon came down to greet me and show me around the building again.  She was talking to me in Korean for about 6 or 7 minutes and I honestly understood about 3 words that she said.  I was trying to convey that I had absolutely no idea what she was saying, but I was experiencing little success.  This is one of the many, many times I have wished that my Korean skills were at least semi-existent, but alas, there is very little I could have done in this particular moment.  After some nodding and smiling from yours truly, she seemed content to leave me on my own to unpack and she left.  She is a very nice lady and I know the communication problem certainly isn't her fault, but it's probably the biggest problem that I have encountered living as an expat who can't speak the language.  It is really my fault that I don't know Korean very well since the only time I really studied it was at Orientation so I don't really have a right to complain about not being able to understand people.  I just wish it was easier sometimes.  Oh well!

Then I had to check out of the dorm where I experienced more communication problems when dealing with paperwork.  It was just not that fantastic of a day.  But eventually everything was worked out and I successfully checked in the goshiwon and out of the dorm so that's good.  The only thing now is that I don't have internet at the goshiwon!!  The internet cord just doesn't work and I'm pretty sure it is a problem with the internet and/or cord rather than the computer since I successfully posted this so I guess in a way that's a good thing.  I'm going to tell my buddy May about it, but I'm going to wait until Monday so she can have a weekend off from helping me haha.  And I still have my smartphone so I can send/receive emails and things so I can still communicate with the world so that's good. 

Here's some pictures of my new crib!

I can't actually sit at the desk since my suitcase is under it.  There's no other place for it though!

There's my bed and maybe more importantly, my fan/tie rack!

Where did that handsome guy come from?

Those are actually just nails on the wall that are now part II of my closet!  And there are 3 pairs of pants on that one hanger...you have to be creative in tight spaces!

What else...  Um I had a couple of CrossFit days.  Those got better.  The MMA fighter took over the last two classes I did and they seemed to actually be easier than the other guys.  There's two teachers there and I guess they take turns teaching the Jiu Jitsu and the CrossFit classes.  The other guy is a bouncer at a popular club/bar that he's trying to get me to visit so he's a pretty fit guy too.  But yeah the MMA fighter/owner was a little bit easier, which I was pretty surprised about but no complaints from me!  I was telling him a bit about the differences between his gym and the one I go to in Suncheon and it's interesting to hear why he has his certain style and why he has or doesn't have certain equipment.  I'm definitely learning more about fitness than I ever have in the States.  Didn't really see that coming when I initially came here, but I guess it goes to show you that you should just expect the unexpected over here!

Okay well I think that's about it for now.  I'm attempting to plan a zipline adventure at Jeju Island sometime this month too.  I've really been looking to go to Jeju for some time, but it's hard to coordinate with school so hopefully I'll be over to go!  If not, I know that I'll be there for sure in late March/early April with the Spring Fulbright conference.  I also ran into one of my PNU students at the coffeeshop and we're going to hang out sometime next week.  Maybe go shopping for some Korean clothes! :)  I've noticed that Korean clothes fit me a bit better than most American clothes so hopefully I can get some good things before I leave.  I would really like to get a suit sometime since the ones in America were almost all too baggy on me and I didn't want to go to a tailor.

Anyways, I'll post again soon, hopefully in my goshiwon so I don't have to use the wifi from the coffeeshop!  Have a good one. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like some ups and downs this week, but you got through the downs. Raining huh - well, right now it is snowing here. Akron got spared, but it sounds like Cleveland area got wallopped on Thursday night/Friday morning. Supposed to go down to 6 on Wednesday... winter came back this year. Al Gore just lost a bunch of mush minds every time we get a winter like this.
    You might have to educate me on fitness when you get back :) since you are now the expert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ben,

    Working out in a foreign country is always an experience. Before my knee surgery I only needed a pair of running shoes and off I went. I loved it. Not so easy now. I have to rely on hotel workout rooms or do my own workout in the room. I also love walking when the weather permits. Anyway, I think you should have hired a couple of professional movers like your father and me. We would have had you there in a blink. Your luggage would have been smashed and soaked (especially it your father packed it) but at least it would be there. Have a good time in Goshiwon!

    Uncle Mark

    P.S. I love the picture of the "Handsome Guy". Very Louisesque!

    ReplyDelete